Saturday, July 24, 2010

A German Haus - Hays 071810


This picture about says it all... apparently. So, I decided to take some time to check out some of Hays, KS's "living history."







It seems that Hays has a great German history. Though why a bunch of Germans picked the middle of our country to settle in so long ago, I didn't find out.


I did find their first Presbyterian church though. I'm not sure if it's really the red brick side or the granite (?) side. (Now I can't really remember what kind of stone that is. But it's found in a good many of the buildings around town.)



Oh, and get this... I noticed that oddly enough many of the side streets in Kansas (the city didn't seem to matter so much) are paved in red brick. Isn't Kansas supposed to have yellow-bricked roads? Or is that just on the path to Oz?

Since touring around Hays really wasn't on my agenda, I moved on pretty quickly. I knew that I had a very full agenda planned already... and if I was going to make it to Iowa at a semi-decent hour, I best get going.


My next stop was Victoria, KS, which is only about 20 miles away. Victoria is home to "The Cathedral on the Plains." AKA, a very large, very pretty Catholic church, out in the middle of nowhere. But, we all need our claim to fame, so Victoria found it thanks to another group of Volga Germans who settled there a very long time ago.



They too have a monument in their honor, across the street from the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment